A Look at the History of the Video-Game Industry
The video-game industry has had many ups and downs around the World. At one point, many manufacturers had given-up on video-game consoles and abandoned the market, but it then reached heights few could have predicted. In 1983, the Japanese toy superstar Nintendo’s third-generation console the FC (8 bit) was born. With its high-quality gaming visuals, fun game-content, and a low price it quickly won the love of people of all ages around the globe. Its sales shook the whole video-game industry.
At first Nintendo’s 8 bit video-game console dominated the gaming market, but other console companies such as Sega began to challenge it before too long. Sega launched the world’s first 16 bit MD video-game console and its debut title, “Sonic the Hedgehog,” soon captured the attention of half of the U.S. and European markets--making it a big competitor to Nintendo. Faced by Sega aggressively pursuing its market-share, Nintendo then launched its 16 bit home console, the SFC, in late 1990 to compete with Sega and other emerging rivals as the video-game consoles entered a 16 bit era of competition.
In 1994 the home console market began its biggest transformation yet--shifting from 2D graphics to competition for 3D performance. This happened as all home console began to shift into 32 bit technology. Within the 32-bit market, Sega was the first to release its 32 bit Sega Saturn. This was followed by Sony’s embrace of 3D technology with its 32 bit home console. Their sales quantity went up alternately, but in the end, Sega lost badly to Sony due to a number of strategic mistakes in the North American market--while Nintendo developed both 32 bit and 64 bit consoles at the same time. This allowed it to successfully compete against Sony and Sega thanks to its strong developmental capabilities. Now in the 21st century, the console market is a battleground between Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony. Microsoft launched its console the Xbox 360 in 2006, with Nintendo releasing the Wii and Sony the PlayStation 3 later that year as well. What could be considered the current era of consoles began in 2013 when each other Sony released the PlayStation 4 (November 15th, 2013), and Microsoft released the Xbox One (November 22nd, 2013). Slightly more advanced versions of these consoles have been released, but the upgrades have been minor. Nintendo's latest console release, the Switch, is the newest console in this current generation, having been released in March of 2017. All three companies have made statements during 2019 about considering future consoles, and we will see what the future holds in these coming years!
The Differences Between Consoles
When it comes to game consoles there are some differences between home video-game consoles and mini-arcades as well as handheld game consoles, such as:
1. Appearance and Design: Mini-arcades and handheld game consoles both have screens that are designed to function as an all-in-one machine, while most video-game consoles need to work with the assistance of television screens or other display devices.
2. Game compatibility software: Video-game consoles are more compatible with game simulators than the mini-arcade and handheld gaming consoles and there are more built-in games than mini-arcades and handheld arcades.
3. Operation: In terms of operation: video game consoles are generally equipped with two operating controllers, which can support multiplayer combat. A few are equipped with one operating controller, which only supports single-player combat.Mini arcade can support single-player operation and two-player operation, single-player operation of the mini arcade is not equipped with an extra handle, and two-player operation of the mini arcade is equipped with a handle, some are designed into two handles;While the handheld game console is operated by a single player, a few of them will be equipped with an operating handle to support duet.
Classifying different video-game consoles is a relatively simple process. The biggest difference between them is how different they all look in the graphics they display. Video-game consoles can have 8-bits, 16-bits, 32-bits, 64-bits, and so forth. Video-game consoles with different bits will, of course, have different picture resolutions displayed upon the television. The higher the bits, the better the definition. Also, different emulators have varying levels of power. Older game consoles only support AV port output, with later consoles having increased display capabilities with the HDMI port output.
Founded in 2004, Cheertone is an enterprise integrating product development, production and marketing. We are dedicated to the research and production of electronic products for children aged 3-12, including home video game consoles. We have a professional development engineering team that ensures our customers are provided with software solutions, mold design and that we meet all packaging requirements. Also, we provide ODM&OEM technical support.
There has been a trend recently where nostalgia has made an affection for past technology and trends extremely popular. Nintendo, Sega, and other large companies have begun to roll-out their classic mini-versions of their old television game consoles. These products have been heavily pursued by older players with fond memories of the original consoles. Many of our video-game consoles look like those classic ones, but they are actually their own innovative products as opposed to just old titles--resulting in a mixture of both nostalgia and new that is very popular in the market right now. With that in mind, we have two video-game machines representative of this to introduce. They are the CT-T409 mini-TV machine and the CT-T040 home video-game machine.
This is a mini-TV console which is about the size of a palm and can be connected to a large television or monitor by using AV audio and video outlets. Also, it is an 8-bit console with 200 classic retro games, and players can choose different types and genres of games they desire to play. It also has a classic design where the handle has a removable joystick just like a mini-arcade, making it even more comfortable to operate with smoother gameplay.
This type of mini-arcade is especially suitable to be used as a giveaway for promotions or as a reward such as at an arcade or carnival. This type of mini-TV console is used by many businesses as a gift or prize. For example, a coffee shop or bookstore could give it as a gift to VIP customers who buy books and coffee, and a large arcade such as, “Dave and Busters,” could use it as a prize people can redeem with tickets they have earned. Because it is very affordable as opposed to new consoles and simply needs a television display to work this console is as easy to use as it is fun to enjoy by yourself or with friends and family.
This home video-game console is modeled after Nintendo’s SFC video-game console--in fact, it features a gray-and-white color scheme! It has a scaled-down design that looks classic but helpfully eliminates any need to insert or remove game cartridges. Also, it has an 8-bit AV and 16-bit HDMI version. The 8-bit AV video-game console has 620 classic games built-in whereas the 16-bit HDMI video-game console has 621 classic games built-in. The matching controller has that same beloved design, with the classic cross-key and AB buttons. These are very familiar to people with fond memories of the 1980s and 1990s! This classic console evokes all those wonderful memories of childhood and enables parents to help their children play these classic-styled game consoles. It assists grown-ups in sharing in the happiness brought by playing video-games with their kids and communicate as they have fun!
The Importance of Quality Control
All of our products have strict quality control. Our video-game console electronic material accessories, chassis have carefully-inspected raw materials, and the packaging materials such as the colorful box utilizes new and high-quality materials as well. We do not cut corners when it comes to the creation of the best products possible. We spare no expense and refuse to use inferior materials such as recycled nickel or gold for our plated PCBA boards. To illustrate our dedication to quality, let’s talk about the QC of the main materials:
1. PCB: Because video-games need more electronic components than other toys, the chip contained capacity can be very large. With this in mind, our PCB is double-paneled and through the plating process (such as antioxidant function), we ensure the stability and service life of the PCB, not caused by electronic components welding circuit board of the fracture.
2. Electronic Components: All the electronic components in the main board of the game console are acquired through close cooperation with suppliers whom we have been working with for many years and have a guaranteed high-quality. In particular, the chips and CPUs of the game consoles are purchased in Hong Kong or Taiwan. The purchased raw materials have to pass an IPQC sampling inspection. Should any materials be found to not qualify they are picked-out immediately. They are not put into the production line. Should there be a serious problem, we will in fact return and goods and reevaluate the quality of the supplier.
3. Game machine case: The cases of our game machines are made out of ABS plastic. This is because the plastic material has good dyeing performance and is extremely environmentally friendly. This means if a customer wants to customize the shell of the game machine a particular way, we are able to do so for them. Also, this material is very hard with strong impact resistance. It also can be electroplated, welded, hot-pressed, and put-through other secondary processing methods. Lastly, it has great heat resistance, making it difficult to burn. Our game machines use these raw materials not only to ensure the best quality for our products, but thanks to the sense of security such high-quality materials provide to our customers.
Our video-game consoles are very much in-line with the current retro and nostalgia trend. One of our regular customers, Lexibook, has purchased color boxes and housings for the CT-T409 every few months. According to their feedback, the market sales of these video-game consoles have been very strong. This is thanks to how our consoles evoke not just fun from the games themselves but help older players recall those deep feelings of love for classic game consoles too. Here at Shenzhen Cheertone Technology Co. LTD, we are always willing to work towards long-term development with our customers. We pride ourselves on close cooperation and providing our customers with quality service.